When you think beach day essentials, one of the first things that probably comes to mind is a bangin’ bikini. But rocking a barely there two-piece isn’t the only way to make jaws drop at your next pool party or shoreline hang sesh. Sure, there’s the good ol’ one-piece, but why stop there? Take a cue from style icon and all-around badass Rihanna, and embrace the monokini for a waterfront #OOTD that is straight-up goals. Boasting show-stopping cutouts without compromising on coverage, the monokini gives you the best of both worlds, all while setting you apart from the pack. So drop that blasé LBB (little black bikini) and snatch up one of these DDG womens bathing suits asap. And if you’re looking for a bit of extra coverage without going full-blown one-piece, we’ve pulled together a few stylish tankini options too. Get it, girl.
1. ASOS Summer Tie Dye Keyhole Cut Out Swimsuit ($49): Festival babes, this one is for you. Cue the round sunnies and crochet cover-ups, because this tie-dye number is all about those free-wheelin’ feels.
2. Anna Kosturova Aztec Stripe Monokini ($255): Wallflowers — proceed with caution. This colorful crochet suit is not for the faint of heart. The ultra bright fabric and eye-catching tassel and seashell embellishments command attention, so best believe you’ll be turning heads the second you set foot onto the sand.
3. Victoria’s Secret Forever Tankini ($49) and Forever Hipster Bottom ($30): Whoever said full coverage had to mean forgoing style obviously never saw this show-stopping suit. The plunging neckline and cropped length that shows off a hint of midriff turn up the heat on a traditionally conservative silhouette. Slay, girl, slay.
4. Topshop Kendall + Kylie at Topshop Palm Print Plunging One Piece Swimsuit ($85): Found it. If you’ve been searching for a scene-stealing monokini with major pizzazz, look no further than this palm-print number. Daring cutouts and an OMG-worthy neckline were made for showing off, so you might want to think twice about that cover-up.
5. Lipsy Metal Trim Caged Cheap One Piece Swimsuits ($50): When things start to heat up, slip this strappy number on and head straight to the pool. Rest assured, the peek-a-boo cutouts and metal detailing live up to your haute standards and signature sass. The only thing missing? Dramatic sunglasses and windswept hair.
6. Kenneth Cole Linear Lines Pushup Tankini ($135): Comfort and style all rolled into one? Sign us up! Lazy beach days and lakeside hang sessions are about to get seriously chic once you add this graphic tankini to your lineup. Team it with cutoffs and an airy kimono for an in-transit ensemble worthy of any #OOTD.
7. Minkpink Spread Like Wildflowers Cutout Swimsuit ($90): Word of your style savvy will spread like wildfire when you unveil this scoop-neck suit at your next pool party. For extra fashion cred, pair it with an understated body chain, metallic sandals and a dramatic floppy hat.
8. Victoria’s Secret Crochet Monokini ($108): One word: obsessed. If you can only add one new piece of beachwear to your closet this season, make it this color-block monokini. Channel your inner ‘70s fashion goddess with slicked-back locks and a bell-sleeved coverup for beach day perfection.
9. Moeva London Ariana One Piece Swimsuit ($313): Making a statement is kind of your thing, meaning a one-of-a-kind swimsuit that will take you straight through summer in style is non-negotiable. This hot-as-hell monokini definitely won’t disappoint, especially when styled alongside embellished flatform slides and futuristic cat eye shades.
10. Shoshanna Tropical Palms Sporty Monokini ($198): You’re not really about lazy girl beach days, and you need a swimsuit that can handle a bit of action. We get it! This palm-print cut out one piece swimsuits has you covered, serving up a serious dose of style as you show off your volleyball skills or dominate in ultimate frisbee.
11. Kopper & Zink Brinkley Cutout Swimsuit ($220): If you’ve been having doubts about donning a monokini, let this be the swimsuit that puts your mind at ease. Whether you have a staycation or a stint in the south of France coming up, add this stunning number to the top of your must-pack list. When it’s not making jaws drop on deck, it acts as a DDG addition to any night-out ensemble — just add a pleated metallic midi skirt and caged sandals.
12. Araks Elmar One Piece ($325): Sure, it’s a splurge, but this asymmetric monokini is what beach day dreams are made of. Living up to your fashion-forward sensibilities, it’ll set you apart in a sea of average bikinis. Take your look to the next level by pairing it with crisscross slingbacks and belted high-waisted shorts.
13. J.Crew Halter Tankini Top in Gingham Seersucker ($68): Nothing says summer quite like gingham seersucker. Get your fix of the preppy print this season by passing on the expected A-line dress or cropped trousers and taking along this sweet red suit on your Fourth of July getaway. For a decidedly nautical feel, wear it with a linen shirt dress, straw boater hat and loafers for a getup that makes the transition from waterfront relaxing to festive fireworks totally seamless.
14. Mara Hoffman Crochet Cutout One Piece ($198): Staying ahead of the curve all season long is easy when you have this rainbow bright one-piece in your bag. Make it main stage-worthy by teaming it with a twirl-friendly maxi skirt and gladiator sandals.
15. Oh My Love Strappy Monokini ($78): You + this scene-stealing swimsuit = major FOMO for all of your Insta and Snapchat followers. Because hello — just look at this thing. Embrace the bombshell vibes by whipping out your lace-up wedges, an airy kimono and messy topknot.
16. J.Crew Halter Cutout One-Piece Swimsuit in Mosaic Floral ($110): Get ready to bring it with a mosaic floral swimsuit that any color-loving fashion darling would adore. The subtle ‘70s feel lends itself to wood-sole slides and a crochet cover up that feel right on trend.
17. Calipige Athena One Piece ($140): As far as swimsuits go, this pared-down monokini is a hero piece in disguise. Get in touch with your inner French girl for post-seaside shenanigans by wearing it as a sleek bodysuit with high-waisted jeans, siren red lipstick and a neatly knotted scarf for the ultimate in off-duty cool.
18. L’Agent Agata Swimsuit ($157): It’s time to swap out that boring ol’ black swimsuit in favor of high-octane color and directional design. If the daring cutouts don’t keep all eyes on you, then the barely there back sure will.
19. Shore Club Black Fringe Bandeau Tankini ($58): Prepare to feast your eyes on the fringe-flecked tankini you’ll be reaching for all summer long. Add this bohemian-meets-city-chic suit to your repertoire for a look that doesn’t mess around — no matter what’s on the agenda.
20. Forever21 Floral Zigzag Crisscross Swimsuit ($25): If you’ve got it (and we know you do), flaunt it in a fusion swimsuit that would make the perfect companion for festivals and weeklong getaways at the beach house. It’s almost too cute to cover up, but if you must, layer it under a sheer caftan or embroidered cutoff shorts.